Monday, May 5, 2008

Father Breath

We went to Pismo this weekend and took our little dog for a run on the beach. I spent much time, there, walking and reflecting. Earlier in the week I saw part of a documentary on Ovation called "the Source," and found much of it inspiring and moving. The film deals with the Beat Poets and their struggle for authenticity- until the struggle was no more-
While walking and thinking, I could not get the segment of Ginsburg's "Father Death Blues" out of my mind.
When I compare my effort in this life with some of these people- I am meager in comparison- but none-the-less, I am skimming- floating-skating on a surface of some kind that I can barely see- (it's way too close- you see.)
Father Breath once more farewell
Birth you gave was no thing ill
My heart is still, as time will tell.

Allen Ginsberg

No comments: