Sunday, February 24, 2008

Imaginary Dances and the Thin Red Line

I was watching the movie "the Thin Red Line" yesterday while drawing. It is, to me, one of the saddest films I have ever seen, not because of all of the death and dying, but because of the poetry of unfulfillment. It is also one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. The images are stunningly, achingly beautiful. Almost all of the characters are interchangeable, merging into one metaphor for everylife, the work that will not be allowed to be finished.
Another preoccupation, lately, has been imaginary dancers- I mostly like the gesture and the potential kinetic moment.
In the film, Terrence Malick captures us as lesser demons, like Nick Nolte's portrayal of a Colonel driven mad by frustration and its implication of inconsequentiality.

I also want to take a moment to announce that I have created a small book (well, booklet, really,) of a few of my drawings from sketchbooks of the last year. I titled it "Amphiboly" and it is available as an on-demand print from Blurb. It is available as a 7X7 inch paper back or hardback and has forty pages of drawings and text. The paperback costs $12.95 plus sales tax and shipping. (About $23.00, total-YIKES! For this reason, I'm not marking the book up to take a profit-)

I am a little proud of it- regardless of how mediocre a talent I am, it is somehow soul-warming to hold something of yours that has found its way into print- even if it is a vanity press production.

No comments: