Monday, February 4, 2008

Spark Chamber

I had a dream about my childhood, more a memory, I think, than dream.... I saw men in heavy coats and field boots with shotguns., coming out of the woods with strings of small dead birds, slung over their shoulders.
I recently read Elie Weisel's "Night," and found myself very moved- not so much by the horror of it, although this horror is beyond comprehension, but by the notion that the Author's life must be absolutely defined by the experience, perhaps to the exclusion of all other experiences. How does a person become "normal" after this?
Are all memories, before and after, refracted through the prisim of this? I suspect that there are a large number of people who are defined by their horror, either violence, illness or madness. I understand how fortunate I am, so far, and I do not take this for granted. If we try to practice the art of justice in small ways, at all times, perhaps things will get better.



No comments: