Saturday, March 1, 2008

1000 Words for Fear

I started scanning and uploading my sketchbooks to my website in March of last year- that makes this the 1-year anniversary for this practice. If you have the time and patience to wade through these things (there are over 850 pages, there,) to what conclusions might you come, if any?
Are these art? I don't know. Are they illustration? I don't think so. Do they tell a story? Perhaps. I hope so.
I sometimes draw while I watch TV- this morning I was watching Solaris (for the second time this week) - The Russian version- not the one with George Clooney, although I have heard it was bad- I wonder what those critics would think of the Tarkovsky film? I think that this film is about exhaustion, boredom, futility and coping with our intrinsic fear of annihilation. Oh, and it moves verrrrrrrry slowly- you must learn to be patient to watch this. Lots of long takes and medium close-ups of actors doing monologues. This could be a play- or an opera. Let's do it.
At any rate, it is great fun to draw and watch- so many times, these days, I feel like I can't afford the luxury of just sitting and watching a movie on TV- but drawing and watching- or watching and drawing is a very good compromise, I think.

No comments: